You know you're a history buff when you love to know the story behind each destination you travel to. Shipshewana, Indiana has a rich Amish/Mennonite heritage that is so fun to learn about. You can bring Shipshewana's past to life by visiting the following events and attractions.
To make your trip even more memorable, consider staying in the Farmstead Inn - a beautiful hotel centrally located in Shipshewana that was modeled after the Amish homesteads that dot the area.
Photo Courtesy of: VisitShipshewana.org, Menno Hof Listing
Amish & Mennonite Cultural Museum
- Glimpse into the life and history of the Amish / Mennonite culture through multimedia presentations
- Experience the simulation of a tornado as the wind blows and the theatre shakes
16 Fascinating Murals
- In 2014, a group of highly skilled painters and mural artists from all over the globe called the "Walldogs," descended upon Shipshewana to paint murals all over town, both downtown and along Route 5.
- View and explore the history of Shipshewana by going on the Walldogs trail - where every mural has a story and meaning behind it!
Bring Home a Piece of History
- Are you an antique lover? You'll love the annual Shipshewana Antique Festival held the first Saturday in August.
- Events include an Antique & Vintage Market, the Shipshewana Gas & Steam Show, Old Trade Demonstrations, Antique Telephone Show, Vintage Baseball Game, Swap Meet and More.
Every Mile Tells a Story
- Take a road trip on the 90-mile Heritage trail for a scenic drive along rural roads and small town Main Streets.
- As you drive, listen to a free audio tour CD for fun facts and interesting bits of area history.
Photo courtesy of : VisitShipshewana.org, Barn Quilt Trail Listing
Gorgeous Countryside Views
- Use the self-guided trail map to view over 30 hand-painted quilt murals, each with a story and history of their own.
- The trail connects six communities through LaGrange County in Northern Indiana.
Photo Courtesy of: VisitShipshewana.org, Shipshewana Area Historical Society Listing
All About Shipshewana
- Explore this historical museum located inside the Old Farver School in the Historic section of Downtown Shipshewana.
- Visit displays of artifacts from Chief Shipshewana and the early town as well as surrounding communities.
Get Up Close and Personal
- If you're with a group, you can get up close and personal with the Amish to learn about their history on a guided tour.
- Optional activities include visits to working farms, shops and homes.
A Historical Masterpiece
- Take a ride on a 1906 Dentzel Carousel, created by the German brothers.
- The working parts, gears, braces and the center pole are all original to the carousel.
Farming Demonstrations and More
- It's a weekend of old-fashioned fun for the whole family
- Witness demonstrations of by-gone equipment, exhibits and activities.
Want more Shipshewana, Indiana trip ideas? Download our free Amish Country Trip Planner E-book.