Ahhh spring. There's hardly a better feeling than opening up those windows and letting the cool spring breeze air out your home.
Spring is also the time when you can finally shake off the winter blues and get out to enjoy all that Shipshewana, Indiana has to offer. From markets to festivals to shows, here are the top 21 things to do in Shipshewana this spring.
1. Celebrate Spring at Shipshewana's MayFest. This annual festival is held in downtown Shipshewana on the first Friday and Saturday in May. There's food, entertainment, kids games, a buggy races, a 5K Road Run, softball tournament and event a Grand Parade.
2. Find bargains at the Shipshewana Swap Meets, an outdoor market where Amish and English come together to sell and buy poultry, small animals, housewares, plants, baked goods, and more. Bring cash!
3. In need of some retail therapy? Go shopping at one of the many unique shops in Shipshewana. From boutiques, to Amish furniture stores, to gift shoppes, you're sure to find something that fits your style.
4. Go for a bike ride along the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail. As temperatures get warmer, you'll love riding along this picturesque trail that runs from Shipshewana to quaint surrounding towns.
5. Hear the clippity-clop as you take a buggy ride through Shipshewana. You can't visit Amish country without taking a buggy ride, right?
6. Take in 16 giant wall murals depicting the history of Shipshewana. Each "walldog" mural is absolutely gorgeous! The murals are found all over downtown and along S.R. 5, so be sure to visit each of them!
7. Shop til' you drop at the Midwest's Largest Flea Market - which opens the first Tuesday and Wednesday in May. You'll love browsing the booths at the Shipshewana Flea Market. The 26 gigantic outdoor aisles have vendors selling everything from home decor, to party supplies, to food!
8. Float down a river in a canoe or kayak! The whole family will love getting out in nature by renting a canoe at one of the kayak rental stops near Shipshewana.
9. Bid on a piece of history at the annual Spring Shipshewana Antique Toy and Miscellaneous Auction. Held in late April, this auction features a special section of hard-to-find vintage toys.
10. Catch a musical at Blue Gate Theatre for an uplifting and entertaining evening in Shipshewana. Their current musical, A Simple Sanctuary, is a compelling Amish country story based on the best-selling books by Beverly Lewis. Pair the musical with dinner at the Blue Gate Restaurant, and you've got yourself a great night!
12. Grab your golf clubs for a round of golf at Heron Creek Golf Course in nearby Lagrange. You'll love the warmer spring weather while enjoying the golf course.
13. Experience Shipshewana in a new way by taking a guided tour. Your tour guide will bring to life the unique culture of the area, and you'll get to relax as you take in scenic views and landscapes.
14. Get your patio ready for summer by visiting Raber Patio Enclousures at their annual Spring Open House. Held in late April, the open house features a huge tent sale with discounted furniture, giveaways, Ervin’s grilled hamburgers, and Clara’s famous potato salad!
15. Experience being a real American picker by attending the famous weekly Shipshewana Antique Auction where sellers bring in their picks and barn finds from all over the country. Auctions start at 9am every Wednesday.
16. Watch a bull-riding competition at Shipshewana's PBR Bullfest happening in late May at the Michiana Event Center. Two nights of action-packed entertainment including bulls, fireworks, lights and even an after party.
17. Is someone in your family a history buff? This spring, be sure to visit the historical locations in Shipshewana including an Amish & Mennonite Cultural Museum, a 1906 Denzel Carousel, and the Heritage Trail.
18. See a variety of quilts, wall hangings, rugs and more auctioned at the Honeyville Quilt Auction on Saturday, April 13. Experience the fresh air of the countryside as you take in this local event.
19. If you are a classic car owner or a car enthusiast, be sure to attend the Essenhaus Classic Car Cruise-Ins every Thursday night from May to September. This free event features theme nights, LIVE entertainment, hand dipped ice cream & old fashioned sodas.
20. Enjoy great music at a concert this spring. The Blue Gate Theatre has a whole line up of great bands and acts coming to Shipshewana.
21. Visit Cook's Bison Ranch during their annual Red, White, & Bison Calf Days celebration in late May. Take a wagon ride to see and feed bison and eat some buffalo burgers!
While you may have some old favorites to visit when you're in Shipshewana, there’s always something new to check out! Download our free Shipshewana Amish Country Travel Guide for some more trip ideas.